Learning & Development Manager (L&D)
My client is an International Manufacturing business with sites across the UK who is looking for an experienced L&D Manager to work closely with the HR and Operations Leadership team. The role is more focused around the strategic L&D agenda and working closely with Senior stakeholders to translate business challenges in to L&D activities.
- Ensure that the business delivers high performing leaders and a pipeline of talent fit for the future
- Provide and execute a fully integrated Learning & Development strategy to design and deliver Leadership interventions that support the execution of business strategies and enhance business
- Build individual and organisational capability and knowledge to meet current and strategic requirements and create an active learning culture to embed capability development
- Maximise the Apprentice Levy in line with the requirements of the business.
Whilst this is a stand-alone role, the Company employs a part-time L&D Adviser who is predominantly responsible for internal delivery of the Company’s core training courses and the upskilling of the Team Leader level within the business, and therefore there is a strong dotted line to the role which will require strong direction and leadership with process and structure. It is expected that the L&D Manager will liaise closely with the HRD and HR Services Manager as well as the wider HR Team.
Learning and Development is still relatively new within the business and now requires a stronger presence providing strategic direction through appropriate processes.
The role is based near Stockport, however, it is a national role and therefore some travel to the sites around the UK will be required (this may include overnight stays)
Learning & Development
- In conjunction with the HRD and business leaders, define and agree the L&D Strategy and priorities, leveraging analytics to help ensure meaningful diagnosis of training programmes.
- To organize and advance the career of talented individuals.
- Ensure the required levels of leadership and talent are identified and maintained throughout the business.
- Ensure there is a structured management and leadership offering for all levels within the business, incorporating both internal delivery and partnering with external providers to maximise the levy.
- Manage the Company's UK Apprenticeship Levy account to ensure effective utilisation of annual funds.
- Develop and execute the L&D strategy in line with business requirements to include some qualification based management training (eg. ILM)
- Assess and identify leadership and people management requirements, both for the immediate and future, across the whole organisation in consultation with Managers and in line with the Company’s leadership competencies.
- Ensure that the internal delivery of courses is relevant to the training needs of the overall business and are designed and developed accordingly.
- Evaluate and report on the effectiveness of development activity undertaken and quantify the impact and benefit both internally and externally
- Continually review and recommend improvements of innovative training programmes and materials.
- Work closely with the HR Manager to enhance the pipeline of future talent.
- Ensure that any Apprenticeship programmes and Apprentices are fully managed and supported.
- Work in conjunction with the wider HR team to ensure seamless integration with functional HR plans.
- Work with the HR Director to develop L&D interventions which support organisational change and succession planning
- Improve on our current induction programme, and develop a training programme to continue developing our staff
- Provide coverage for general HR functions
- Develop current relationships with universities and online platforms.
- Prepare budgetary information together with department heads and agree implementation with the HR Director.
- Ensure use of high quality and low-cost materials for training products.
- Manage spending against budget, reconciling the training and recruitment budgets highlighting any anomalies to the HRD.
- Submit a monthly & quarterly report to the HRD / HR Manager.
- Collate, analyse and provide timely and robust MI and reporting for all L&D data
- Develop effective and accurate reporting and tracking on project status, plans, risk and issues logs
- Keep up to date with developments in training styles, techniques and resources to ensure appropriate and effective training delivery
- Take responsibility for identifying own personal training needs to ensure effective performance of your role. This may include carrying out further learning in own time as and when required and identified.
- Preferably a minimum 3 years proven and successful track record working within an L&D management role.
- Good knowledge of the Apprentice Levy, including accessing funds, ROTAP, SFA, ILM
- Strong analytical ability and report writing
- Has common sense and a pragmatic approach
- Build strong stakeholder relationships and influence business leaders to gain buy-in at all levels.
- You will have delivered transformational change through leadership and talent interventions, identifying risks and opportunities to use funds and maximise ROI
- Extremely organised with exceptional time management
- Be strategically minded capable of understanding the long-term consequences of decisions taken
- Ideally you will have worked in Learning & Development or Talent Development across a wide geographical territory and multiple environments within a matrixed organisation.
- Whilst able to think strategically, you will have a hands on approach and will be task focused, with the ability to demonstrate how your initiatives have provided a return on investment to the business.
- Experience of working in a manufacturing sector is desirable, but certainly not essential.
- Strong IT skills and being comfortable with technology - MS Office, MS PowerPoint, HRIS (CIPHR), advanced use of Excel, including the use of VLookups and Pivot tables
- Qualifications (desirable) in psychometric testing and personality profiling e.g. Thomas International, Insights