HR Partner - Maternity Cover - Cambridge
HR Partner - Maternity Cover
£38,989 to £49,602 pa plus excellent benefits
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute conducts cutting-edge genomic research on an unprecedented ambition and scale, with our Human Resources team playing a vital role in enabling and supporting the people behind this.
A maternity cover opportunity has arisen for a senior HR Partner to join our forward-thinking team at a time of exciting change and transformation. An influential and strategic role, the postholder will have responsibility for leading the delivery of a dedicated HR service to our Scientific Operations Programme. As a senior member of the HR Team, you will also play a proactive role in leading and implementing our ambitious change agenda and driving best practice in our approach to people management and development.
You will have proven experience of working at a senior level in a busy HR Team, preferably in a research or science based organisation. This is a very hands-on role and successful candidates will be highly motivated, tenacious individuals able to operate and perform in change-orientated and complex, ambiguous environments.
In particular we are looking for applicants who can demonstrate:
- Experience of leading and directing the delivery of a comprehensive HR service.
- A partnership approach; working with and coaching senior stakeholders and managers to effect change.
- Experience of developing and executing long-term, strategic plans particularly in relation to policy development, workforce planning, talent management and succession planning.
- A thorough knowledge of UK employment law and first-hand experience of resolving a broad spectrum of ER issues and leading on the implementation of complex change projects and TUPE transfers.
- Project management skills.
- The ability to effectively delegate responsibilities and tasks to junior team members.
This post is to be offered as a 12 month Fixed Term Contract to cover maternity leave.
If you think you have the attributes, skills and experience that we are looking for, please read on to find out more about being an HR Partner at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute.
- Membership of Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development [CIPD] or equivalent experience
- Significant experience of, and demonstrable success in, providing strategic and operational HR advice and guidance at a senior level
- Excellent working knowledge of legal framework/best practice surrounding employment
- Clear appreciation of the strategic context in which HR operates
- Skilled and confident communicator who can clearly present ideas and solutions across all mediums – face to face, presenting to an audience, in writing
- Ability to listen, analyse and respond effectively/mediate in complex and difficult situations
- Demonstrable ability to influence and persuade others to take appropriate actions
- Good track record of managing and delivering projects
- Coaching and mentoring skills
- Positive ‘can do’ attitude and flexible/creative approach to problem-solving
- Resilience to work under sustained pressure and hold one’s own in challenging situations
- Experience in a research or technical environment
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease. We use state of the art large-scale genomic approaches to drive world-leading projects to uncover the basis of genetic and infectious disease. Our goal is to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. It hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), Open Targets, a Biodata Innovation Centre and will soon host Genomics England Limited’s 100,000 Genomes Sequencing Centre. The Campus is also home to Wellcome Genome Campus Connecting Science. Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation and supports learning by drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Campus. Its mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society.
To help researchers to develop their skills and networks, the Institute hosts a range of scientific seminars with internal and invited speakers, scientific group meetings and skills development workshops.
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, two cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service. Our thriving Sports and Social Club provides many opportunities to meet with people working across the campus.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Closing date: 17th September 2017