Head of Learning and Development
My client is a leading global law firm based in Central London. They are now searching for a Head of L&D whose role will be to manage the design and delivery of a range of learning and development programmes, including the firm's global high potential programme for senior lawyers and the design and delivery of other workshops and activities relating to UK partner and lawyer development.
The UK People development team is to support the business' people strategy through a range of learning and development programmes and initiatives. The Head of L&D will lead, motivate and drive this team forward to help the business achieve its goals.
This will be a mixed role where the successful individual will have a very broad remit. They will be managing the UK team, liaising with colleagues internationally to work on global and local projects, designing and delivering programmes, budgeting, working closely with stakeholders internal and external, developing the learning strategy and much more.
Responsibilities (brief list):
- Leadership of the UK lawyer development function.
- Management of the firm's development programme for high potential senior lawyers. Acting as a central point for the management of this global programme, effectively managing the delivery of the communications, pre-work, programme design and delivery and on-going evaluation. Updating and appropriate redesign as required.
- Partner with senior stakeholders to provide development opportunities to Partners and other employees.
- Managing the activities that support UK lawyer development, including integration with stakeholders on pathways, legal learning, and other activities that impact the lawyer curriculum.
- Manage and oversee development of content/curriculum for the UK learning management system.
- Maintain and build relationships with internal key stakeholders at the most senior levels.
- Delivery of development activities at various learning events.
- Provide support to the legal learning and compliance function
- Maintaining relationships with external providers and consultants and internal programme contributors including partners and senior Business Services professionals.
- Support the delivery of the UK Business Services development workshops, ensuring effective implementation of the agreed strategy. Providing support and guidance to colleagues who supervise this area.
- Management of budgets relating to key areas of responsibility.
- Line management of the UK L&D team
- As the senior member of a small team, providing a point of leadership and mentoring within the team.
- Experience of working in a Professional Service firm environment (Partnership), ideally a Law Firm.
- They will have significant experience designing, delivering and evaluating development activities. They will have experience of working in a large, global organisation.
- The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in project and people management in a learning and development capacity.
- Previous Programme Management experience of a range of learning initiatives especially at a senior level.
- They will have solid working knowledge of a range of psychometrics and techniques for assessment/development.
- They will have a proactive and collaborative approach and enjoy working in a team.
- Project management: a proven track record of delivering projects in a complex environment is essential, together with an ability to deal sensitively, proactively and effectively with a range of stakeholders.
- People management experience - managing/motivating/mentoring/developing
- Design, delivery/facilitation, ROI analysis and coaching skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including formal and informal presentation.
- Ability to build internal client relationships and demonstrate a client-focused approach
- Ideally a Postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject, for example organisational development, learning and development, organizational psychology.
- Reliably and consistently delivers on agreed objectives and commitments.
- Prioritises and plans, taking account of changing business needs and priorities.
- Comfortable working with complexity and organisational change.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Works collaboratively and flexibly within a team, willingly supporting other team members.
- High quality standards and attention to detail.
- Proactive and consultative approach.
- Accreditation to use psychometric tools such as HPI/HDS, MBTI, DISC or a coaching qualification