HR Business Partner - Learning and Development Expert
HR Business Partner – Learning & Development Expert
Vacancy No.: VN19-33 Department: Administration
Grade: A2 Section: HR
Job Ref. No.: STF-PL/19-33 Reports to: Head of HR
Closing Date: 15 September 2019
ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the atmosphere, ocean and land surface. For details, see www.ecmwf.int/.
Summary of the role
We are moving to a business-partnering HR model. Key to the success of this model are strong HR professionals who work very closely with the line managers within the organisation to support them on day-to-day and more strategic people issues. The HR Business Partner will act as first point of contact and trusted advisor to a defined set of client groups within the organisation. S/he will work closely with directors and line managers to assist them in key areas such as people challenges, talent recruitment, staff development, employee relations issues and staff engagement. In addition to the HR business partnering function, this position will act as the focal point for all aspects of staff learning and development (L&D) for the entire organisation. S/he will be responsible for preparing the training needs analyses, establishing the training policy, preparing annual training plans, evaluating training and managing the annual L&D budget as well as liaising with external training providers. This position will also be the performance management lead and will be responsible for coordinating the performance management cycle.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Acting as an expert and process owner for staff training, learning & development, performance management and employee engagement
- Conducting learning needs analyses drawing on the output from annual performance reviews and development planning exercises, to establish the annual training plan and manage the annual training budget
- Maintaining contact with a range of external training providers
- Acting as process owner for the annual performance management process, including managing related training requirements and system requirements
- Providing HR advice, guidance and direction concerning all HR related subjects to a defined client group
- Working closely with and advising line managers on complex HR issues including staff development, engagement, employee relations and performance management
- Acting a as trusted partner to support a client group in identifying people challenges, recruiting talent, workforce planning, developing staff and enhancing staff engagement
- Staying abreast of changes in learning & development best practices and important HR issues which could impact the organisation and bringing this knowledge into the organisation
- Contributing to projects as required
- Excellent relationship management skills, including the ability to quickly gain credibility with key stakeholders across the organisation and externally
- Capacity to manage multiple issues ranging from short-term operational to medium term strategic to tight deadlines
- Strong analytic skills, demonstrated ability to work with process and data to continuously improve service
- Ability to work well as part of a team, taking the lead on some topics, contributing to others.
- Solution-oriented, pragmatic approach
- Strong communication skills, verbally and in writing
- Curiosity to understand the goals of the organisation and how HR can contribute to them
- Attention to detail with the ability to challenge and optimise processes
Qualifications and experience required
- A university degree or degree-equivalent qualification in Human Resource Management or a related field is required.
- Strong experience of working in an HR business partnering capacity, ideally in
- an international organisation.
- Demonstrated L&D experience.
- Experience of working at a strategic level and with senior stakeholders.
Knowledge and skills (including language):
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
- Working knowledge of one of the Centres other working languages (French and German) would be beneficial.
- Strong level of IT literacy with an advanced level of MS Excel and reporting experience in an HRIS are highly desirable.
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Coordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £59,228.40 NET of tax. The Centre offers a generous suite of benefits. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-PL as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years. However, the continuation of the contract beyond December 2020 will be subject to the signing of the next Copernicus delegation agreement with the European Commission and the availability of associated funding.
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom.
How to apply
Please apply by completing the online application form available at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs.
To contact the ECMWF Recruitment Team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.