Head of Compliance, Risk and Governance
- Full Time
Head of Compliance, Risk and Governance
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
(Whilst the majority of our employees are currently working remotely in accordance with government guidelines, we do endeavour to return to our Head Office in Harrogate as soon as we are safely able to do so, where this role will be predominantly based)
Yorkshire Cancer Research is one of the most exciting and innovative charities in the UK. The charity is a leading funder of cancer research in the region and has a track record of supporting ground-breaking projects and clinical trials to help prevent cancer and increase survival. We are working to save an extra 2,000 lives a year in Yorkshire.
Yorkshire Cancer Research is entering an exciting period in its development. As part of this we are expanding our team at our Head Office and a number of new roles are being created.
As such, we are looking for a Head of Compliance, Risk and Governance to join our team in Harrogate on a full-time basis.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Private medical insurance
- 25 days’ holiday plus Bank Holidays (increasing with service to 30 days after 5 years’ service)
- Offices within walking distance of the train station/free onsite parking
If you are an experienced and high calibre risk and compliance professional, this is a great opportunity to support the ongoing success of Yorkshire Cancer Research.
We’ve got a strong set of values that inform everything we do and we’re looking for people who are aligned with these. As our Head of Compliance, Risk and Governance, you will strive for excellence in everything you do, have integrity, champion expertise through improvement and innovation and be a great team player.
As the Head of Compliance, Risk and Governance, you will ensure that our legal and regulatory duties are fulfilled, risk is managed and best practice for regulatory guidance is implemented.
Reporting to the Director of Finance & Corporate Services, you will take the lead on all compliance, risk and regulation matters across our charity. You will develop risk monitoring and review/audit cycles and ensure compliance with our risk management policy.
Additionally, you will:
- Play a major role in the development of our Board Assurance Framework
- Implement and monitor processes to ensure we deliver on our strategic objectives while meeting regulatory requirements
- Develop and implement an internal review/audit cycle
- Maintain and develop new relationships with external bodies including fundraising, data protection and charity-specific regulation and compliance
- Take the lead on compliance, risk and governance when onboarding new Trustees and employees
- Manage and update the risk register on a monthly basis and identify new risks as the charity enters a period of growth,
To join us as the Head of Compliance, Risk and Governance, you will need:
- At least five years’ experience of working in a risk or compliance role
- Experience of identifying and managing a range of varied risks across an organisation
- Previous experience of developing and leading an audit cycle
- Experience of designing internal review and/or audit plans
- A track record of presenting review and/or audit findings at Board level
- Evidence of building high-performing teams
- Experience of developing and maintaining strong relationships with a broad range of stakeholders
- Previous experience of developing policy and procedures and influencing internal and external stakeholders
- To be educated to degree level with a relevant qualification (such as IIA, IRM, ACCA, ACA, CIMA, CPA or CFA)
Previous experience working within a charitable organisation would be an advantage, as would good knowledge and experience of both charity law and company law. Familiarity with fundraising regulation, probate matters, data protection compliance and contract law issues would also be beneficial.
Other organisations may call this role Head of Compliance, Head of Risk, Head of Financial Risk and Compliance, Senior Risk and Governance Manager, Senior Compliance and Governance Manager, Head of Risk and Compliance, or Senior Risk and Compliance Manager.
The closing date for applications is the 30th November 2020.
The charity is a responsible and flexible employer and an individual’s circumstances would be considered and balanced against the needs of the charity. We welcome any discussions for flexible working at interview/offer stage.
Webrecruit and Yorkshire Cancer Research are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you are seeking your next challenge as our Head of Compliance, Risk and Governance, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 37 hours per week