Health and Safety Advisor
Health and Safety Advisor
£32234 To £37890
Your new organisation
Southend-on-Sea Borough Council is a unitary authority based in the heart of the town centre. This diverse and busy town has a great seafront, public parks and leisure activities, competitive house pricing and excellent travel links, accessible via two train lines from Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street. It offers traditional seaside living that makes it a fantastic place to live and work. The Council delivers a wide range of vital services at the heart of the community, as well as investing in exciting and ambitious projects that keep Southend-on-Sea firmly on the map. The Council has high expectations for the future and is working with local partners and local communities to ensure we deliver our exciting ambition for what the Borough will be like by 2050. Your new role
We are looking for an experienced Health & Safety Advisor to join the HR and Payroll services on a full time and fixed term contract basis (until March 2022). As a Health & Safety Advisor, you will assist the Health & Safety Manager and Service Manager in the continuous improvement of HR and Health and Safety internal processes and procedures. Primarily you will play a key role in the advisory and consultancy side of the service communicating with managers, employees, Trade Unions schools and other external partners and customers on a range of Health & Safety issues. As such, you will monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the advisory service and make appropriate recommendations for its improvement and implement them as required. You will contribute to and assist in the implementation of policies and processes that maximise the effectiveness and efficiency of the HR Health and Safety Service. The core responsibilities of the role are summarised below:
- Consult anion and advice on various risk assessments (fire/covid/lone working/DSE/PPE etc) and consider how risks could be reduced and controlled
- Outline and advise on safe operational procedures which identify and take into account all relevant hazards
- The requirement to carry out regular site inspections for customers and stakeholders, to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented
- Ensuring working practices are safe and comply with legislation
- Assisting with preparing health and safety strategies and develop internal policy
- Creation and production of in-house training interventions with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks
- Management of records in relation to inspection findings and production of insights that highlight improvements/controls
- Support with recording incidents and accidents and production of data insights for managers
- Maintenance of CPD to include keeping up to date with new legislation and maintaining a working knowledge of all applicable Health and Safety legislation and any developments that affect the employer's industry
- Ensuring equipment is installed safely
- Advice on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding, lone working, health and well-being and occupational diseases.
This is not an exhaustive or definitive list, however you will be required to undertake any other duties as may be required which are appropriate for the grade of this role. Full job description is available upon request.
What you'll need to succeed
To be successful in this role, you will need demonstrable knowledge of the Health and Safety function. Demonstrable knowledge of the politically sensitive environment within a local authority operates will be advantageous. Experience of communicating to varied audiences in a range of ways is highly essential for this role. Ability to work to deadlines demonstrating tenacity and confidence while prioritising and managing a number of issues at one time is vital for this role. You must be confident in the use of Microsoft office, Word, Excel, Access, Outlook. It is vital that you can communicate effectively to varied audiences in a range of ways. Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team is highly essential for this role. To be successful in this role, it is essential that you have a NEBOSH National General Certificate as minimum. What you'll get in return
If you join the Council you will enjoy a range of benefits including: flexible working, salary sacrifice scheme and excellent training and development opportunities. A full list of benefits provided by Southend-on-Sea Borough Council can be found on the Jobs at the council web page under the "Why Work for us Tab".
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV. "Please note: Applications for this vacancy may close prior to the date advertised above. This will be dependent on the volume of applications received."
The Council is an equal opportunities employer. They welcome applications, regardless of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, age or religion or belief. All applications will be considered solely on merit.