Opportunity for HR Manager
Title: HR Manager
Employer: Lake District Calvert Trust
Reporting To: Lake District Calvert Trust Centre Director
Salary: Up to £41,000 per annum plus 5% prp bonus
Location: Calvert Lakes, Little Crosthwaite, Keswick, Cumbria CA12 4QD
Working Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Occasional weekend and evening work will be required.
For a full job description please go to www.calvertlakes.org.uk. In the first instance, please send your CV to email@example.com for the attention of Christine Sheldon. Closing date 3 December 2021.Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete an application form and may be invited to interview.
Overview of Post
The Lake District Calvert Trust provides challenging outdoor activities for people with disabilities from our three specialist operating centres. Calvert Lakes is a 60-bed residential centre providing residential educational courses and short breaks for children and families. https://www.calvertlakes.org.uk/ Calvert Reconnections is a unique residential neuro-rehabilitation service. https://www.calvertreconnections.org.uk/. Calvert Stables provides riding and trap driving activities to support our residential programmes as well as community activities.
With a key role on the Lake District Calvert Trust Senior Management Team, you will lead the Human Resources function across the Trust. Reporting to the Centre Director, this is a new role and an opportunity to create a new HR strategy and delivery model. The HR Manager will be accountable for delivery of the full HR lifecycle to all employees and managers and ensuring that Great Place to Work operations are put in place. This role requires someone with experience of working across all HR topics, who is highly organised, has a detailed knowledge of HR processes, policies, and compliance, and who can successfully manage multiple priorities and stakeholders.
The post of HR Manager will offer the successful candidate a range of personal development and training opportunities.
With a clear focus on our visitor experience, the HR Manager role will
- Work with the Trustee Board, Centre Director and Management team to develop and deliver a sustainable people strategy and plan to meet the needs of Calvert Lakes, Calvert Reconnections and Calvert Stables, now and in the future.
- Build a “great place to work and volunteer” culture, driving staff engagement and the volunteer experience and maximise staff wellness and recognition.
- Ensure that there are documented, up to date and compliant HR policies and processes.
- Develop and deliver a sustainable recruitment strategy.
- Ensure that appropriate onboarding processes and training are in place for new starters to become productive as soon as possible after joining.
- Develop a Talent Management approach and link to succession planning. Identify training needs and propose relevant support for staff.
- Provide coaching and counselling in key areas of organisational effectiveness and change. Strengthen and build internal communications.
- Provide coaching to managers on employee relations opportunities and issues, including performance management, grievances and disciplinaries.
- Ensure the annual appraisal and pay review process is delivered effectively.
- Support the Trustee Board by managing CPD for Trustees as well as onboarding of new appointees.
The successful applicant will have a high level of flexibility, motivation, enthusiasm and dedication, with excellent interpersonal skills.
Requirements: Qualifications and Experience
- Broad HR and people management experience.
- CIPD Level 7 qualification or equivalent experience.
- Proven ability to manage, lead and coach multiple and senior stakeholders.
- You can motivate and enable engagement across all levels of the organisation.
- Knowledge of core HR policies and processes including UK employment law.
- You can ensure relevant policies are implemented whilst enhancing the experience of staff and volunteers.
- Experience of working in a customer service role.
- Experience with a charity could be an advantage.
Requirements: Key Skills and Competencies
- Outstanding verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan, balance and manage competing priorities.
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Understanding of the issues faced by people with disabilities.
- Understanding of the benefits of outdoor experiences.
- Capability in IT usage including Microsoft Office.
- A creative and proactive approach to all areas of work with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Strong team working focus with a flexible and adaptable approach to meet the demands across the whole organisation.
- Consistent, pragmatic and fair approach for all employees.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends, attend out of hours meetings and travel.
- The post is subject to satisfactory Criminal Records Checks.
- Strong written English skills.
- UK Driving licence.
Conditions of Service
This role requires considerable flexibility, enthusiasm and dedication. Being a 24/7 residential centre, this job will involve some irregular hours as well as some weekend and evening work in order to ensure facilities are available to our visitors. Commitment and an appropriate work ethos are essential to ensure certain functions are completed within defined timescales for the smooth operation of the organisation.
It is a requirement of employment with the Trust that you have had both doses of an approved Covid vaccine. This becomes a legal requirement from November 11, 2021 as Calvert Reconnections is a CQC regulated care home.
Contract: This position is permanent after the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period.
Hours: The hours for this role are 40 hours per week. Flexible hours within the 40 hour per week by agreement. This includes weekend work and evening sessions.
Holidays: 28 days per annum, including Bank Holidays. 5 additional days are allowed for onerous duties. Up to 10 days are required to be taken over the Christmas closedown period.
Pension: The Trust operates an occupational pension scheme with defined contributions, the National Employment Savings Trust (NEST) and for eligible and non-eligible jobholders enrolled in the scheme both the employer and the employee will make a contribution. Eligible jobholders, as defined by the legislation, will be automatically enrolled into NEST, unless you decide to opt-out.