NHS Pensions Officer / Birmingham / Pensions / Finance / Payroll
A well established NHS Trust are seeking a NHS Pensions Officer on a permanent basis (band 5).
As NHS Pensions Officer you will be responsible for:
- Develop and implement procedural guidelines to ensure an effective and efficient Pension Administration service is provided and adequately maintained.
- Work with the team to establish and constantly review procedures, recommend and implement changes in policies and procedures from amendments in Pensions regulations and legislation.
- Review departmental procedures to ensure that the information provided has been accurately calculated from extracted information, and complies with the required standards of clarity and professionalism.
- Provide specialist information, interpretation and expert guidance to managers and staff at all levels on all aspects of the NHS Pension Scheme.
- Notification is made by telephone, e-mail, letter, personally on one to one basis, "drop in clinics" (appointments only), staff intranet and team meetings.
- Keep up to date with all changes to the NHS Pension Scheme, pensions legislation, pension provisions and developments in pensions (including automatic enrolment regulations), and to be aware of the implications on all aspects of employee's pensions.
- Obtain information from all relevant sources, NHSPA, DWP, Pensions Legislation, ACAS, other NHS bodies, other pension providers, interpret and incorporate into local procedure guides and ensure changes are communicated effectively to all members of the scheme.
- Ensure effective liaison and communication is maintained, utilising all available communication methods as required including written responses, (routine, ad-hoc and complex), e-mail, telephone, personal representation, meetings, written and verbal reports. In addition use these methods to effectively liaise with all external bodies including insurance companies, Benefits Agency, DWP, other NHS bodies, other pension providers on all aspects of pensions.
- Ensure that documentation in respect of the NHS Pension Scheme is maintained in respect of all employees and liaise with NHS Pensions on pension matters when required.
- Ensure the quality of service provided to all employees is maintained at a consistently high level.
- Ensure compliance with the principles of the Data Protection Act.
- Manage and control the provision of complex and sensitive information in respect of scheme regulations, estimates, additional contributions, service records, application procedures etc., to staff, managers, HR and any other concerned parties, to enable the individual to carry out informed short and long term financial planning, especially with regard to their pension provision.
- Ensure that pension records initiated are maintained to the required standard, making full use of the ESR Report Suite.
- Deal with Death in Service cases for all employees giving required advice to relatives and managers to ensure the prompt and accurate payment of benefits. Give estimate figures of benefits payable and details of pension options in the event of death to terminally ill staff to enable them to plan accordingly. Ensure that all cases are handled with the utmost diplomacy and with the pre-requisite level of empathy and tact.
- Provide appropriate responses through the most effective communication method, written, e-mail, etc., to all higher level complex queries that require the exercise of a greater specialist, theoretical knowledge and wider experience of NHS Pensions and pension legislation.
- Maintain up to date specialist knowledge of all aspects of Payroll to ensure any implications on Pensions are correctly treated.
- Knowledge of NHS Pensions schemes, rules and regulations
- ESR system and excel
- Excellent customer service
- Reporting and analysis
- Remote working
Band 5 circa £26-31,000 DOE