Head of HR
- £60,000 - £65,000
- City of London
- ASAP start
My client is currently looking for an experienced, forward thinking Head of HR to join their friendly, close-knit team on a permanent basis. This is a really exciting opportunity for someone who isn't afraid to get involved in both the operational and strategic aspects of HR
- Developing recruitment process, practice and systems, including engagement with recruiting managers, to ensure that we are swiftly able to source, attract and recruit good calibre staff to ensure development and continuity of our operations
- Developing a plan for the review and improvement of our HR systems and operations to ensure they work well, that they exemplify good practice and deliver good outcomes
- Working with colleagues in finance to source and implement a new HR information system that integrates HR and payroll activity and enables good tracking of HR people data to provide management insight and inform ongoing practice improvement, policy and projects
Leadership and management of the HR team
- Provide professional leadership and management to the HR team in order to ensure high standards of people practice, increasing knowledge and ensuring relevant professional standards are met.
- Drive a culture of improvement in systems, standards and support, ensuring delivery of an efficient service to senior leaders and managers.
- Conduct effective annual performance reviews for team members and hold regular supervision meetings to review progress against agreed targets and objectives.
- Create a positive learning and working environment through delegation, mentoring and coaching of staff and that all team members own their professional development plan
- Enable delivery of a pro-active and high-quality HR service across all aspects of the employee life cycle, ensuring in particular:
- Effective and timely recruitment of suitably skilled and qualified staff who have successfully completed required pre-employment checks
- All new staff are welcomed and have an effective induction into their role
- Continued organisation of staff engagement/communication initiatives eg Staff Briefings and Staff Forum etc
- The delivery of an annual programme of learning and development activity that supports ongoing organisational and employee development
- Effective communication of HR policy and good practice to senior leaders, managers and staff
- Appropriate, accurate and timely action is taken in respect of contract and other HR administration and key milestones (e.g. contract end dates, probationary periods, exit interviews etc.)
- Develop stakeholder feedback mechanisms to ensure we listen and use feedback to improve policy, advice and support
- That we develop and retain our people as a key and valued asset
Operational plan and reporting
- Lead the development of the annual HR operational plan, ensuring that it is achievable, and responsibility is shared within the team
- Develop use of key performance indicators to measure activity and progress towards our goals.
- Work with the team to ensure robust systems are in place to track activity and key deliverables enabling reporting against key performance indicators.
- Co-ordinate reporting on progress to the HR & Safeguarding Director and the Senior Management Group as appropriate.
Development of policy, procedures and good practice guidance
- Ensure the review and development of HR policies with supporting guidance, which are compliant with legislation, based on good practice, and enabling of good people outcomes for the organisation.
- Ensure appropriate engagement and consultation with relevant groups as part of the review process and that new policies and/or changes have a robust case and implementation plan.
- Ensure that new policies and changes are well communicated with appropriate training to support implementation
Equalities, diversity and inclusion (EDI)
- Ensure that our commitment to EDI is embedded across every aspect of the recruitment, retention and development of our people and ways of working.
- Ensure that the HR team role model practice and behaviours for the wider organisation.
- Ensure there is a close working relationship and good consultation with the Racial Justice Priority Group, the Disability Support Group.
- That we ensure appropriate tracking to monitor impact and progress.
- Maintaining own continuing professional development, ensuring that you remain up-to-date with developments in employment law, including attending central and regional training events and networking with other HR colleagues
- Leading and/supporting planned and ad-hoc projects (eg policy development, engagement, reward, wellbeing and diversity) as identified, in liaison/partnership with the Director of HR and Safeguarding.
- Ensuring good management of all processes, procedures and systems including monthly payroll processes, management of headcount and management and maintenance of staff records on the HR database, in accordance with General Data Protection legislation.
- Maintain an overview of all atypical workers eg Apprentices, Interns, Contractors, ensuring that contractual arrangements are appropriately managed.
- In conjunction with the Director of HR and Safeguarding develop proposals for the annual review of salaries and stipends, ensuring appropriate consultation with relevant stakeholder groups, the preparation of papers for the HR Committee and communication and implementation of the awards.
- Manage outsourced HR services eg occupational health, HRIS and pension providers.
- Co-ordinate the implementation of the Health and Safety Action Plan and in particular, ensuring that all learning/training related actions are implemented.