Since 1935, we’ve been doing everything we can to make sure everyone everywhere can enjoy nature on foot. We lead the way, and the walks, for a community of over 100,000 walkers. And we help thousands more every year find their feet out in the open to boost their wellbeing naturally.
The Ramblers is a charity dedicated to removing barriers so everyone can enjoy walking in green spaces and to preserving and improving hundreds of thousands of miles of well-loved paths, tracks, and trails across England, Scotland, and Wales. We're committed to campaigning to keep our countryside open to all and to fight for the things that matter most to walkers.
Purpose of Role
This role provides the opportunity for a motivated individual to be a part of shaping the future of the People Team at The Ramblers. This individual will provide a key role in delivering the newly created ambitious people plan that will enable Ramblers to become a truly great place to work.
The HR Advisor will support the activities and administration related to the attraction, recruitment and development and retention of Ramblers’ employees. You will have responsibility for a wide range of activities including maintaining accurate data in the HRIS, producing HR paperwork, supporting key projects in the annual HR lifecycle, running critical HR reports and supporting the HR Business Partner/Director of People and OD with specific employee issues. You will also be required provide facilities support to our Office administrator in our London Office.
- Lead all HR processes and administration required to maintain a high-performing HR team
- Proactively manage all HR data in the HRIS, ensuring complete accuracy
- Providing first-line advice to employees on general HR policies and queries and escalating complex issues to the HR Business Partner
- Proactively update and produce organisational structure charts and contact lists ensuring accuracy
- Ensure contractual changes are captured in the payroll database and appropriate letters are issued to employees in a timely manner. Ensuring appropriate paperwork is issued in a timely manner
- Responsible for the collation, and preparation of payroll and pension information not limited to all new starters/leavers.
Recruitment and Onboarding
- Advertise new vacancies and manage applicants, ensuring a great candidate experience
- Liaise and manage recruitment agencies on new roles and candidates they submit
- Negotiate favourable advertising rates with agencies, newspapers/magazines, job boards and other social media platforms
- Proactively promote vacancies both internally and externally using your initiative and insight
- Support managers collating applications, coordination of interviews and assessments and acting as panel members when required
- Notifying unsuccessful candidates of outcomes of interviews and providing feedback as appropriate.
- Ensure all starter documentation including the right to work is received and processed in a timely manner
- Process all employment contracts and new starter documentation
- Undertake onboarding activities including HR inductions and coordination of group inductions for new employees. Undertake HR induction, including relevant training on HRIS
- Support managers in conducting probation reviews in a timely manner
- Responsible for actions resulting from probation reviews such as notifying staff if probation outcome
- Complete absence reporting and analysis ensuring appropriate data is provided to allow business decisions to be made.
- Maintain appropriate data capture processes and systems (including data input) for annual leave, unauthorised, sickness, maternity, paternity, parental, statutory, paid, and unpaid leave
- Ensure contractual changes are captured in the HR Database and appropriate letters issued to staff in a timely manner
- Provide comprehensive, informed advice to staff in relation to all HR problems/issues/queries, (maternity, paternity, shared parental leave, holiday entitlement, terms and conditions of employment etc.)
- Responsible for the collation, and preparation of payroll information not limited to all new starter/ leaver information, pay changes, position changes etc, for submission to payroll for processing
Performance and Development
- Support the management of our appraisal framework, ensuring appropriate communications and monitoring completion rates effectively
- Book and manage online training for staff as required
Rewards and Benefits
- Capture and monitor employee records including starters, leavers and internal transfers, and changes to compensation and benefits
- Raise the profile and continually promote our benefits
- Generate appropriate communications ending contractual relationships and ensure appropriate leave notifications are shared with relevant teams
- Conduct exit interviews and exit analysis
- Support HRBP/ Director of People & OD with Facilities duties
- Work closely with and support the Office Administrator
- Undertake any other relevant duties on projects delegated by the HR Business Partner and Director of People and OD
- Maintain good knowledge and understanding of all relevant policies and procedures relevant to the role
- Engage and proactively develop excellent working relationships with managers across the organisation
- Promote well-being activities and services across the organisation.
Undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required of the post holder by the Ramblers.
- Desirable to hold a recognised Human Resources qualification or equivalent proven experience
- Part qualified or interest in pursuing the CIPD qualification
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience: previous successful experience in a generic HR advisor role in a fast-paced business, ideally with experience supporting recruitment
Skills and Leadership
- IT: some prior experience and a keen interest in cloud-based HR systems and Microsoft packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Communication: excellent communication skills are a must, both verbally and in writing
- Organisation: the ability to balance multiple demands and strong attention to detail
- Discretion: the ability to maintain confidential information and treat sensitive matters appropriately
- Accuracy: High level of attention to detail and accuracy of data management
- Proactive, organised, and able to work under pressure, whilst maintaining excellent attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrating professionalism in all dealings
- Able to adapt and be flexible to changing priorities and seek assistance when under pressure
The Ramblers promote diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.